The images at left depict Rock Island Station during two historic periods—before and after the 1903 transfer of the tower from the middle of the island to the end of the pier.

        These photographs were likely taken during a survey by the Lighthouse Service. The first two depict the station in 1885. The last photograph shows the station in 1903.

        Originals can be viewed (or copies purchased) at the Still Pictures Division, National Archives II, in College Park, Maryland—ask for 26-LG-Box47.


(Click on an image to see a larger version)

© 2001, Rock Island Lighthouse Historical & Memorial Association